Saturday, August 13, 2011

conversion!

I mentioned in my last post that I want to find a user-friendly weather map of El Salvador, so that I can ensure that I do not roast my retirement away at 100+ degrees in the shade. I'm not having a whole lot of luck with that, so I finally just opted for a check of what Lonely Planet has to say about the weather in ES. I'll note here that while I've used Lonely Planet guides pretty extensively in my travels, I find their guide to El Salvador to be far from comprehensive, and I'd love any suggestions for different travel books! Anyway, according to this not-the-best-lonely-plant-guide, weather in El Salvador is as follows:
coastal areas = 22-32 all year
central areas = 19-38
mountainous areas = 12-23

Using this handy-dandy temp converter I found, I am now able to adequately translate that:
coastal areas = 71-90 all year
central areas = 66-100
mountainous areas = 53-73

That's really not so bad! It looks like I have an option of always hot, but not unbearably so in the coastal areas, chilly at times, hot at others in the central areas, and chilly year-round in the mountainous areas. Those mountainous areas sound so great right now! Even after a not-too-terribly-hot day here, the thought of being in or around the 60's all year is quite enticing!

I'm pretty sure that P-daddy and I are not going to agree on which of these is the most attractive. But let's be honest, he's going to be so disgusted at my needing an online tool for temperature conversions that he may never even get to these last paragraphs!

3 comments:

  1. Perquin is a beautiful place to settle down and it is a very moderate climate. But you will get more rain than in other areas. Plus, it is only 45 minutes from my house. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, you are definitely on our list of people/places to visit! So is Perquin, which I've read a little about - that's the place with the food festival, isn't it? Out of curiosity, what's the trip like to the airport from there in terms of distance and comfort? I've chicken bussed all over Guatemala, but I'm not sure I want to subject husband and son to that quite yet if there are other options!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, actually they had a huge festival just last week. And rumor has it, there are a couple of Americans already living there. As for a bus you would have to change at least one time, either in Gotera or in San Miguel. The buses going to SS look more comfortable, more moderen than the local service buses, but I don't know where in SS they leave you in relation to the airport. Depending on your budget there is also the option of hiring a car for the trip. This can run from $150 to $250 but it is comfortable and it is door to door service. Plus you have the luxury of stopping anywhere you want along the way

    ReplyDelete