Tuesday, September 13, 2011

English Schools in El Salvador?

It's been a rough 10 days! Pooh's 3rd birthday was last Sunday (Sept 4), and we were at my parents' house for the holiday weekend. Then I came back to work on Tuesday, worked 15 hours that day, 12 hours on Wednesday, shorter days on Thursday and Friday, and then attended a local (well, one hour drive from home/work) conference for 9 hours (so an 11-hour day with the drive). I'm still trying to catch up from last week, and this week is piling up. Times like this definitely make me want to live the expat life, rather than the rat race!

I wrote here about things we need to do in order to prepare to move internationally, and we've been thinking and discussing several of those issues. Two that have been on our minds are inter-connected to some degree: where to live and where Pooh will go to school. Both P-daddy and I feel strongly that it's important for Pooh to have some schooling in English, so we've been looking for international schools in El Salvador. We are only finding info about the ones in San Salvador - there are three of them, and I'll be talking about each of them in more detail as I find time to research them more. I can't help wondering, though, if the lack of online presence is a true reflection of what exists in ES. Perhaps there are others, but they simply don't have an online presence that reflects that. As I noted here, the degree to which ES is cyber-savvy is simply not the same as here in the US. Hmmm...perhaps I've just created a job for myself...

Anyway, my question is, are there English schools elsewhere in the country? If so, where? what are they like? How can I find info about them? Even a trip to ES would not necessarily give me this info, so if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

3 comments:

  1. I was searching for the same info as you 3 years ago and found the exact same results. As far as I know, San Miguel which is the largest city on my side of the country does not even have one but I will ask around for you and let you know what I find out. I can tell you that just about every school does include an English class in its curriculum, starting as early as kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just asked a friend who teaches at one of the International Schools in SS and she said there used to be one in San Miguel but it closed. She is going to ask at the school about others. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a ton! I have not quite reconciled myself to the idea of living in San Salvador, though I realize that it may be the best choice in terms of economics and education for the kiddo. I just want to have as much info as possible. And really, it's surprising to me if there aren't others, but I know it's completely possible!

    ReplyDelete