Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

I've been on a freezer cooking kick lately, so much so that my freezer is jam packed and we are going to need to spend some time just eating from the freezer pretty soon! This week, I made a new batch of burritos as well as a small batch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.


This time, we made Roast Beef Burritos, using some leftover roast and adding a few things to make a large pot of taco soup. We kept half as soup and drained the liquid off the other half to use for burrito filling. It went something like this:

Roast Beef Burritos
leftover roast beef, shredded
2 potatoes, diced
1/2 pound of carrots, diced
1 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cans of corn, drained
1 can fiesta tomatoes (w/ peppers)
1 pack of taco seasoning mix

Mix all together, add water if needed, and simmer long enough to let the flavors meld. If I were doing this again, I would add a can of refried beans at this point to give the mix some stickiness, but in this batch, I did not do that.


I do the rolling assembly line style. First I scoop the filling onto a tortilla, roll it up (I tuck in both ends so nothing falls out either side), and place it, seam side down, on a paper towel on the counter.


I keep filling and rolling until I'm out of space, filling, or tortillas, then I roll each burrito in a paper towel, and then in aluminium foil.


And then I store the individually wrapped burritos in plastic bags (here, I used the tortilla bags, but gallon size ziplocs work great too). You can also see my extra soup there - stored in a gallon size ziploc and frozen for quick and easy use next time we want it.

3 comments:

  1. I also make burritos with leftover roast beef. I have never put potatoes in the filling before,we may have to give this a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little worried about the texture of the potatoes once frozen, but it has not been a problem.

      Delete