Saturday, June 2, 2012

Successful Saturday!

We participate in a local veggie co-op. It's not a CSA, just a group of people who contribute money every 2 weeks, and then one person goes to the farmers market and shops.

This morning, Pooh and I headed across town to pick up our veggie co-op delivery. It was quite a haul! Here's what we got:
2 heads of lettuce
2 baker potatoes
1 huge sweet potato
1 celery stalk
2 lb of carrots
3 large yellow onions
2 zucchini
1 yellow squash
2 red bell peppers
about a dozen mushrooms
about a dozen jalapenos
a crown of broccoli
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
7 roma tomatoes
4 apples
6 oranges
1 large mango
3 kiwis
2 peaches
1 quart of strawberries
After hanging out with my sister and doing a little shopping, we headed home, where I spent the rest of the day prepping the fruits and veggies for easy grab and go meals next week. Here's what I did:
1. Cut up celery, carrots, and red pepper
2. Made a mushroom and tomato frittata, adding in a little spinach we already had
3. Made brown rice with tomatoes, peppers and onions
4. Steamed broccoli
5. Washed and prepped lettuce
6. Cleaned out my fridge!
7. Arranged everything back in the fridge with room for the new stuff
As I was working, I was happily planning all the great meals I could make this week with this great co-op haul, and I realized that this is really good practice for life in Guatemala, where fruits and vegetables are typically fairly inexpensive as long as you buy local and avoid the imports from the superstores (or, as many say, the gringo markets). It's so great to be able to plan a menu around fresh fruits and veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment