Saturday, May 25, 2013

Simplicity Saturday: Homemade deodorant

Those who know me know that I love my convenience items. Life is busy and I want to be able to get things done quickly and easily. However, I also love DIY cleaners and things like that - I think they are safer for the environment as well as for my family, and as long as I plan ahead a bit so that I always have some on hand, they are pretty quick and easy to make. One DIY item I've made and liked recently is deodorant.



I admit I was hesitant at first to make this since I sweat a lot and was really worried about being stinky all summer. But since I had the ingredients for this popular deodorant recipe from Passionate Homemaking, I decided to give it a try.

I started out with these 3 ingredients:

Coconut oil (I used Nutiva)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch

And I decided that I would try to refill an old deodorant stick with it. I just took a knife and scraped out any last little pieces of the old deodorant so that it was fairly clean, like this:



First, I mixed the baking soda and cornstarch in a bowl. Now that I've been using this deodorant for a while, I admit that I'll do something different with this next time I make it. This part is a little gritty and it kind of cakes in my armpit.



Then I added in the coconut oil and mixed it all up and started to scoop it into my empty deodorant tube.



When the tube was full I just kind of smoothed over the top - with one use it becomes pretty smooth, so there's no use really spending a lot of time on smoothing it over.



I had a bit that didn't fit, so I just put it into a small jelly jar. I did add a bit of tea-tree oil first, just to try something a little different in that part of the batch. And that's it, quick and easy homemade deodorant!



No comments:

Post a Comment